Going to a Military Installation? Check Your ID

UPDATE June 2017: Current States whose non-enhanced State driver’s licenses or IDs are not accepted on military installations:

Oregon, Alaska, Oklahoma, Kentucky, South Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania Washington, Montana, Minnesota, Missouri and Maine are on the list of those States that do not comply with federal identification standards and whose IDs cannot be used to enter federal facilities, including military installations.

January, 2016: If you live in WA, IL, NM, MO, or MN you can’t use your non-enhanced state driver’s license or ID card to get a visitor’s pass for a military installation or any federal facility.  Time has run out for these states to bring their licenses into compliance with the security requirements of the REAL ID Act of 2005.

What are your options? At this point, accepted IDs include a US passport, Native American tribal document, ID card from any compliant state, Dept. of Defense or federal ID card. You can also accompany someone with a Dept. of Defense ID card, no matter which state license you hold. You may also be able to make arrangements through your military contact (such as the EFMP coordinator) to continue to use your current ID (at least temporarily). Contact the installation you wish to access to find out what IDs are currently accepted-installation command have the discretion to consider other, supplemental forms of identification.

For information on your State and updates, visit REAL ID on the website of the Department of Homeland Security (external link).