We know you store, save and have useful tools available for your work with families. Whether it’s bookmarks with folders labeled by topic or subject, saving resources in Word or Excel documents or printing some to easily share during your one-to-one support or at resource fairs, we’ve got you covered! In our back to school season it’s only logical we offer you new tools, essential resources and updates that you can look at today, save for another time and store for your work with military families.
New Resources & Updates to add and share:
Two Great Apps for military family members
PTSD Family Coach is for families living with PTSD, helps the individual(s) affected in their relationships with other family members including children, and has lots of information specific to veteran and active duty military families
Breathe, Think, Do with Sesame is for younger children, and is designed to help children learn to take time to Breathe and Think as they deal with challenging situations or solve problems.
itunes Google Play Amazon App Store
10 Free Apps for Your Work with Military Families
Free Mental Health Services and Resources for Veteran’s families: (or any military-connected family not using TRICARE mental health benefits)
- The American Red Cross Emergency Communications Center is available to help 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, (877) 272-7337 toll free. If a family member is experiencing an emergency and the family needs a deployed service member at home, American Red Cross independently verifies the emergency which lets the service member’s command make a decision about emergency leave. American Red Cross can provide transportation and financial help as needed
- Free Hero Care App from the American Red Cross –“vital emergency and non-emergency resources for military members, veterans, and military families
- Camaraderie Foundation – access to mental health counseling services to military service members, post-9/11 Veterans and their families. Online application for “Counseling Scholarships”, which may pay for the family or individual’s personal selection of provider if they so choose
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) – online tool for locating mental health services
- Give An Hour -free mental health care to active duty, National Guard and reserve service members, veterans, and their family members. Licensed health care providers donate their services. Service members and family members can search for and select a provider-with confidential provider contact, tip sheets on choosing a provider and what to expect from services
Update to the Extended Care Health Option (ECHO) –a benefit for eligible family members with disabilities
More Respite Services for Active-Duty Families: If this proposed rule goes ahead, families receiving benefits through TRICARE’s Extended Care Health Option (ECHO) can get respite care even when not using other program benefits.
- Read the article on Military.com
- More about the Expanded Care Health Option (ECHO)
- More about respite care for military families
For Your Outreach to Military-Connected Families:
Be a Featured Service Provider and Resource for National Guard, Reserve, and Veteran’s Families!
Fill out a short online form and be listed as service providers and community resources for National Guard, Reserve, and Veteran families in your state or region.
Joint Services Support Service Provider Network
Essential Resources for Your Work with Military Families:
Bookmarks to add or build your own military family toolkit!
- Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) –the Department of Defense program for military family members with special health or education needs
- TRICARE-Healthcare for Military Families -includes information on all TRICARE programs for family members with disabilities
- Relocation for Military Families -with handout! -how relocation to new duty stations (“Permanent Change of Station or PCS) impacts all military families and especially those who have children with disabilities
- Tips for Accessing Military Installations for Individual Assistance and Trainings -everything you need to know before you go!
- The Role of the School Liaison Officer (SLO) -an important point of contact across all branches of the military