Incapacitated Child (21 Years of Age or Older)

Children who are incapable of self-support and who become incapacitated prior to the age of 21 (or between 21 and 23 if enrolled as a full-time student) can continue to receive military benefits and privileges.   This chart assists Parent Centers and military families identify the documents and procedures to declare their child as a permanent dependent.

Incapacitated Child (21 YEARS OR OVER)

The “incapacitated child” is a dependent of the sponsor (the service member) who requires over 50 percent of his or her support to be covered by the sponsor (if the sponsor is deceased, the child must have received over 50 percent of his or her support from the sponsor at the time of death).

Forms / Documents Needed for All ServicesBAHID
Relationship documents (for initial application): marriage certificate, birth certificate, adoption decree, etc.XX
DD 1172-2 (Application for Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) If the I.D. card has expired and the application has been submitted a waiver could be provided for the waiting period until final approval. X
DD Form 137-5, Dependency Statement, Incapacitated Child Over Age 21: (external link)XX
Medical sufficiency letter signed by a Uniformed Services medical provider or civilian physician. Go to your service-specific link on back for an example which will be acceptableXX
Verification of Income and Proof of Support:  use your service-specific link to see acceptable documentationXX

DFAS page leading to information for Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps-specific information: (external link)


Navy: (external link)

Air Force: (external link)

Marine Corps: (external link)

Coast Guard: (external link)